“Food, music and great hospitality have always been a big part of The Tontine. This continues today and is regularly played on. We have been welcoming old and new customers for over 100 years and will continue our friendly charm for years to come.”
The Cleveland Tontine is something of an institution in beautiful North Yorkshire. Idiosyncratic and eclectic with a hint of English eccentricity.
We feature an award-winning bistro and restaurant, with a rustic and indulgent charm. There is also a boutique hotel offering unique rooms that can match the best in terms of funky luxury.
The Tontine, as we are popularly known, is no ordinary restaurant and hotel. Our personalised style and approach has won us friends and advocates around the country and overseas.
The Cleveland Tontine's most recent history and culinary rise to fame began in the 1970s. However, its history goes back much further. In 1804 the Yarm to Thirsk turnpike was opened and with the growing traffic, the demand for some form of resting place grew, which resulted in the building of The Cleveland Tontine.
Built as a Tontine, which is an old business term devised by the Italian Lorenzo Tonti in 1653; a group of investors put money into a venture. As the members passed away, the shares were divided between the remaining investors until there was one sole survivor who then inherited 100% of the shares. Tontines are now illegal, as they allegedly had a tendency to lead to many 'unnatural' deaths!
The original investors raised the princely sum of £2,500, a substantial sum in 1804, for the erection of the Tontine.
The first brick was laid on 13th July 1804. By the 5th September 1806 the daily mail coach between Sunderland and London began to run with the 'Cleveland Tontine' being one of the main resting and storage stops.
After the arrival of the steam engine and the railways, the Cleveland Tontine became a private residence known as 'Ingleby House'. As the post-war traffic began to increase, a local brewery bought 'Ingleby House' as a high quality 'road house', with a restaurant, ballroom and a cellar bar. In September 1976 the McCoy brothers took over.
Within a few years the Cleveland Tontine's regional reputation was firmly established. Nationally, the property quickly caught the attention and praise of Egon Ronay and food critics alike.
There have been many changes since along with significant investment, including an extensive refurbishment of all the bedrooms in recent years.
In 2013, The Cleveland Tontine has undertaken a major refurbishment programme to include a new kitchen, new entrance, fantastic cocktail bar, and major renovation of our lounge and bistro.
Come along and try us yourself.